ProPublica intends to follow the rollout of the Affordable Care Act in the coming months. We’d love to hear your story. Please fill out the form below and we may contact you with follow-up questions. We will not republish your name or contact information without your permission
What’s Your Obamacare Story? Help ProPublica Cover the Affordable Care Act - ProPublica
Saturday, March 8, 2014
Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Court Judge Reggie Walton said the government hadn't shown a strong enough need to keep the data, especially given the privacy concerns raised by such a move.
"The amended procedures would further infringe on the privacy interests of United States persons whose telephone records were acquired in vast numbers and retained by the government to aid in national security investigations," Walton wrote in a 12-page order posted here. "The government seeks to retain these records, not for national security reasons, but because some of them may be relevant in civil litigation in which the destruction of those very same records is being requested. However, the civil plaintiffs potentially interested in preserving the...metadata have expressed no desire to acquire the records."
Court: National Security Agency can't keep metadata past 5 years - POLITICO.com
Sunday, February 23, 2014
Saturday, February 22, 2014
But it's this new type of political speech that has leftists screaming for censorship. It makes a kind of perverse sense from the Democratic Party perspective to try to shut off independent expenditures because the Left also overwhelmingly controls direct contributions to political campaigns and the mass media. Consider that the six largest media companies are overwhelmingly Democratic-oriented in political donations (even NewsCorp's Fox Network):
• Time-Warner — Individual political donations favor Democrats more than 20-1
• Disney/ABC — Individual political donations favor Democrats more than 40-1
• CBS Corporation — Individual political donations favor Democrats 100 percent (no Republican donations)
• NewsCorp/Fox — Individual political donations favor Democrats 3-1
• Comcast/NBC Universal — Individual political donations favor Democrats slightly ($204,000-$151,000)
• National Amusements/Viacom — Individual political donations favor Democrats 13-1
• Total average individual political donations favor Democrats more than 10-1.
Additionally, direct donors to individual campaign committees and leadership PACs are overwhelmingly dominated by leftist organizations such as unions, according to OpenSecrets.org.
In short, the Democratic Left is trying to censor what remains of a proportionately small effort by conservatives, Republicans, libertarians, and constitutionalists in order to restore their near-monopoly on political information.
Nancy Pelosi's Attack on the First Amendment
- ▼ March (2)
- ► 2013 (298)